Saturday 27 December 2014

The NEW new years resolution,

Take a look at the list below and just for a minute think about how much time you spend on each in a week.

  • Family & Friends
  • Career
  • Finances 
  • Travel
  • Entertainment
  • Culture
  • Hobbies 
  • Exercise

Done that? Ok now look at the next list and do the same. 

  • Meditation
  • Contemplation
  • Gratitude 
  • Self awareness 
  • Mindfulness 
  • Spiritual pursuits (retreats, church etc, etc). 
  • Compassion 
If your anything like me, your priorities lie with that first list and barely any time gets dedicated to the second - am I right? 

The reason I'm highlighting this to you, is because as one year ends and another starts there tends to be this mass exodus for fitness, diets and a sudden sense that it is imperative to improve all the external factors in your life. 

I love nothing more than starting a fresh page in my diary and writing down all my projects and hopes for the new year, its incredibly carthic and I think an excellent step in trying to make dreams a reality. 

What I tend to always neglect though is this simple theory: 

Cultivate your internal landscape through tending to your spiritual practice, nurturing mindfulness, compassion and investing in regular meditation. Do this and like flowers in a garden your dreams will have an environment in which to grow. 

(I'm quite proud of that metaphor)! I'm starting to realize that by focusing my attention inwards I'll have greater clarity and will be better able to scope out opportunities and truly follow my dreams. 

I too hope for fulfillment in my career, to continue to flourish in a loving relationship, to surf and surround myself with great people, plants, pets and the beautiful outdoors. Those things will come but first I'm saying hell yeah to meditation, reflection, gratitude and compassion! 

Until next time 

Stay strong and surf well 
Love 




No comments:

Post a Comment