Saturday 26 April 2014

The Poor Surfer.

 Ever noticed how expensive surfing is when you don't live by the ocean? Alongside the problem of logistics there is also numerous pieces of equipment needed when the ocean you play in happens to be cold water. For a land locked surfer there are various fiscal challenges to overcome before a toe even steps onto plank. 

At the end of summer I'll ascend northwards to be a mere 20 minutes away from a beach break, thus cutting in half my travel expenses. I will however be a student at 25 years old, living independently off peanuts, there is a distinct lack of money being a student for the second time round and while I plan to work around my studies, things will be tight to say the least. 

Impending thrift has been the inspiration behind this post, as budgeting doesn't have to spell depressing nights in spent without heating, eating 1/4 of a tin of beans and saving the rest. 
The first time I went to university I was a budget goddess, I managed to save like it was a new trend and felt happy living off very little. 

Now I'm a full time earner (this is laughable when considering what the care industry thinks is adequate for a full time wage but oh well, that's a different story). I've been used to a disposable income so the transition to scrimping and saving is going to be felt but shouldn't be impossible. 

The act of surfing originated as a free recreation and can be significantly cost effective if you do the following. 

1. TRAVEL
If you live far from the ocean, car share, use megabus or find the unpopular train ticket times to save money on travel. 

2. SUITED AND BOOTED. 
Invest in a wetsuit. Even if you don't have a board, a good quality wetsuit is something you'll always need (if you surf in Britain) and will last you forever if you take good care of it. A wetsuit you can also fold into a suitcase and take on public transport. 

3. GOOD MORNING CAMPERS.
 What makes surfing expensive is the accommodation you use when your at the coast. If you go in a big group camping for several days can be a very cost effective way to live. Camp sites nowadays aren't literally just a piece of grass, often they have beautiful facilities, warm cafes and showers which don't make you shudder. Go be adventurous! 

4. PACKED LUNCH. 
Ok I admit lugging a bag full of food alongside, rucksacks, heavy wetsuits and whatever else you need on public transport isn't fun but its amazing how much money you save when you bring a packed lunch and a flask of tea. £3 here and there might not seem much but it does add up! 

5. BORROW & STEAL 
I'm not advocating theft but I do think you should pester your surfer friends to borrow boards or share one when you hire. When you make an effort to talk to the surf shop owners sometimes luck and cheek will allow you a few extra hours with a hire board at no extra cost. If you don't ask you don't know! 






































In preparation for university I'm starting to immerse myself in thriftiness, my mantra being 

THRIFT RADIATES HAPPINESS. 

I've always loved charity shops and jumble sales but now I'm using them like supermarkets and trying to source pretty much everything from them (bar underwear and food)! The best bit of all being that my darling Mr Sunny has got bitten by the charity shop bug and was chuffed to purchase a gorgeous shirt for a mere £1! 

I LOVE vintage clothing and wanted to share with you a few pictures of recent purchases. 

 Ethel my new classic bike was a junk shop purchase for a mere £20 and the shirt I'm wearing was a hand me down from my mom. Sunglasses were free and the trousers are relics I've had for years, I can't even remember where I got them from! 

  Ahhhh what surfer doesn't love a Hawaiian print?! These trousers were a mere £3.95 from an age concern charity shop. I love them with the power of a thousand suns! 

 This outfit is actual an all in one dress separated by a belt, the dress was one of my pricier vintage buys at £15 but it transcends summer and winter (I'm wearing it with tights for a warmer look). The belt was another hand me down from Haus of Mom! 






































I realize that there is nothing flattering about the jacket I'm wearing but I love it irrevocably! It kept me warm during the surf trip to Newquay and has that Woodstock vibe you know I adore. It was slightly pricier as it was from a dedicated vintage store but do you think you could get a quality well made jumper that would last several decades for a mere £10. I'm raking my brains too!! 

What this rambling post is trying to highlight is that budgeting needn't be a dour experience. Yes a few liberties will have to go but this doesn't mean poverty like those less fortunate experience in developing countries. I know I'm incredibly fortunate and my version of thrift is a very luxurious one at least. When I feel down about money I'm going to remind myself that its like water through your hands, it will come and go, sometimes it'll pool other times it will flow, the point being one shouldn't grasp at it. 

Do something for free like going for a walk, if you live by the ocean then go see that, you'll be amazed at how much joy can be sought using non or very little money. 

Stay strong surf well 
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment