Tuesday 29 April 2014

For there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one's own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes. 

 Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being






I was skeptical when I first heard Ricky Gervais had a new show about a man with learning difficulties. I thought the usually acerbic Gervais would take the subject of care within a nursing home and make fun of the people who call it their everyday life. 
I'm glad to say I was 100% wrong, Derek, is a sensitive and wonderful depiction of the ups and downs of a nursing home and Gervais plays a fantastic lead character (Derek). Being a care worker myself I'm not allowed to discuss the role greatly due to privacy issues, but I can elaborate about how I feel as a care worker. 

Much like surfing isn't just a hobby, care work isn't just a job. The people I have the privilege of working for get under your skin in a way which makes them feel like family. Its not professional to admit this but I don't see how you can possibly do a good job without working with your heart as well as your head. I wake up worrying about them, I spend my day trying to think of new ways of helping them live a life as individuals and my heart breaks every time someone gets ill or passes away. 

The care industry is a sinking ship, its undervalued, grossly under funded and vulnerable to abuse. I am often witness to the raised eyebrow expressions when I say what I do, the low wages and the nature of the job (I have to assist with personal care), seem to provoke feelings of revulsion in people. 

Don't feel sorry for me, I am the luckiest girl alive to do what I do. 

I consider it an honor to get up and go try to make someone else's day meaningful. Regardless of how tired I am or whats going on in my life I make it my mission to treat that person with respect and give them the dignity they deserve. Whilst the wages certainly don't reflect the level of responsibility I have during the day and the hours are ridiculously long (14 hours), I feel a great sense of accomplishment doing what I do. 

I need and appreciate my holidays but I never feel dread going into work (okay, some mornings I'd like a bit of extra time snuggling Mr Sunny but hey)! There are at times very frustrating aspects of the job- apathetic family members, budget cuts, the disrespect shown by passersby, but these are greatly outweighed by service users's smiles, walks in the park, day trips and the wonderful staff I work with. I think everybody should try for a time working in care either through volunteering or employment, its honestly the best education I've ever had.

Funnily enough quite a few surfers I have encountered are also care workers...correlation? 





[Above] Shift dress and bag are for sale in the up and coming online vintage boutique I'm establishing in collaboration with Jemima Stubbs Photography. 

Until next time, 

Stay strong and surf well 
Love



2 comments: