Saturday 31 August 2013

A Lucia Griggi Interview.




























So the saying goes 'a pictures paints a thousand words,' which couldn't be more apt when looking at a Lucia Griggi photograph. Your mind conjures words like, fearlessness, adventure, femininity and power. World renowned for both her stunning surf photographs and for her strong work ethic, she piqued my interest in wanting to approach her for an interview. A friend of mine recently participated in a photography course run by Lucia and it was reports of her warmth which made me determined to speak with her. 

I'm both awed and honored by her immediate friendliness and in reading her interview you'll recognize the strong, open person which shines through her answers. With a lot of criticism surfacing in the world of women's surfing recently, I wanted to create a positive culture by highlighting the women who live openly and honestly. 
So without further ado here is Lucia Griggi in her own words and photographs. Mahalo.











 

If you were given only a minute to explain who you are and what you do, what would be the main points?

Mel Gibson summed it up in Braveheart: “FREEDOM!” Once you get a taste of life on the road, it becomes an addiction. This is a big, interesting, fascinating, troubled, wonderful world we live in. Once you see a bit of it, you want to see all of it and I know I will never see it all: Change is a constant.
I don’t know if I could work in an office and do the same thing, day after day. I think I would go mad. The ocean as my office and my commute changes from day to day, season to season. I live as simply as I can, but I travel with very sophisticated equipment which allows me to document what I see and experience, and share that with others. My life isn’t easy. It changes from day to day and I have to think on my feet, but I love it.

As an accomplished surfer and photographer being new at it probably seems a long time ago but can you tell us how you first got into surfing and how long it took to feel like you were competent?

This took a long time. I was so determined to surf and I loved every minute of it. Well most! I would say two years to understand it and to trim a wave properly but to really surf I’m still learning every wave I catch. I love to surf every day: morning or evening in California when the sun rises and when it sets are my favorite times. I was in the water the other day and had the privilege of surfing with three other girls - one being my great girlfriend Jamie and the other two we had just met but were very inspiring. I love to see girls surfing and having fun together.


How did surf photography evolve into becoming a lifestyle for you?

In 2000 I began shooting surfers in the United Kingdom with a Nikon D100. In the summer of 2004 I drove my van to Europe to shoot the Mundaka contest and then the contest in France. My first published photo was in Carve Magazine, and I gained momentum from there.

It took a while, to say the least. The journey has been long and testing but I never gave up on my dream to keep my passion as my job and support myself with what I love to do. My photography came into place when I started to travel with surfing and I felt I needed a purpose to travel. I loved to document what I saw and experienced. I soon started to get published while using my dads Nikon camera he gave me. Soon it became a hobby that was my job.

For the 21st century woman there is immense pressure to be accomplished in every area of life – career, love, finance etc, how do you maintain balance in your life?

This is a great question. I am actually sitting here now wandering how to do the exact three things. Well my love life (long term) definitely suffers due to being in an ever-changing environment, as I stay married to the road. However I do love the idea of love and have loved so we shall see how the future pans out. My career is what I pursue the most because it is a reflection of me and what I love in my life. Finances are flowing and I like the fact I am self-reliant and have control in what happens. It can of course be testing at times!

I have disaster stories having to do with losing equipment, and I have disaster stories having to do with losing boyfriends. I could write a book, and maybe I will!

Female surfers are sometimes thought of as bikini models before athletes. What are your opinions of female representation in the surf industry and the future of female surfing?

I think girls will be girls – let them flaunt it. They surf great, having both win situations. I think girls are so much more respected for their accomplishments in surfing for how they surf and having a great body just comes along with it.

In a world where everyone can be a photographer (of sorts) how do you keep inspired and your pictures so unique?

My eye and the way I see is unique to me and no one can take that from me. The world is dynamic and the ocean is dynamic and there is always a lot going on. There is enough room for everyone to be a part of the photographic community. It is just another medium in which to see the world. I encourage people to get out there and see the world. Open their minds.


Your portfolio is so varied ranging from surfing, action and adventure shots, culture, to film and TV. What is your favorite genre other than surfing and why?

I would say portraits. I love people and their ways. I can tell a person very quickly through their eyes. They are the gateway to their soul and it interests me to see what people are capable of and made of.

I’ve shot a couple of books for Ben Marcus who says my gift is “the art of flattery.” I shoot beautiful people and I shoot older people and I’ve shot portraits of people who don’t necessarily like having their photo taken. I like the look of surprise on their faces, when they love the portraits that I took. That is very rewarding. I love it.

Your 9-5 can occur anywhere around the world, what travel destinations have left a lasting impact and why?

My favorite 9-5 places have been in the middle of the ocean in the Maldives. It’s a special place. Along with its sister island Sri Lanka. These people live a flowing, ocean lifestyle that is just so satisfying to be a part of. I like the rhythm and the nature of both places. I wish I were there now.
And Africa too. Nature is the big boss there and I feel this urge to always stay connected to such an inspirational place.

Can you think of a time during your surfing/life where you became stuck and how you overcame that plateau?

Oh I’ve been stuck from the 405 Freeway to South Africa and back. I’m always stuck!  Happens once a day at least! Stuck sucks! Whether I’m in the office at my computer thinking of a way to further my work or literally being stuck in front of a wave. My passion keeps pushing me.

What are your hopes and dreams for the future?

To live a happy, productive life and to always appreciate every day for what it is worth. To carry on living simply and keep as open minded a possible even through the hard times.

If the world was ending tomorrow describe how you would spend your last 24 hours?

Sitting on a beach with my family and friends taking a chilled glass of something or other… with my toes dipped into the turquoise waters of the Pacific Ocean! Or maybe the Indian Ocean – the Maldives.

Thank you Lucia! 

Until next time water warriors... 


Stay strong, surf well. 

Love Sophia 

No comments:

Post a Comment