Sunday 19 May 2013

This is serious monkey business.

Hey water babies and land lovers, how the devil are you? 
I've had a pretty spiffing weekend which is concluding a lovely week of annual leave. Its weird to be thinking about going back to work tomorrow especially as having time and space to myself has been throwing up some interesting debates in my head. 

I miss my wildlife conservation work, the challenge of academia and feeling like I'm fulfilling my purpose of preserving our natural world. I'm incredibly fortunate that my current stop gap job is so rewarding (I am a support worker), but deep down I feel the shifting tides within me. I know a career is a mere slice of the pie chart, but for someone like me who enjoys working hard and striving, I feel that my career isn't quite mirroring my passions yet. 
I know what I need to do, I need to volunteer. Whilst I'm trying to scrape together savings and figure out my next move I should keep my finely honed conservation skills fresh by working in a nature park or a zoo. 

I understand that I'm in process, that everything happening to me now is intended and an important lesson. I should cherish this time because I have the space to really plan how I want to shape my life, what kind of person I aspire to be and how to make a positive impact. I was very well acquainted with post graduate depression and I know what I'm feeling now isn't this, its less frustration more a hunger to be purposeful. 

I hear of friends completing Masters and PhD's and whilst I'm immensely proud of them I'm also a little envious. I'm not sure if the academic route is for me but I do like the notion of dedicating myself to a topic and becoming an expert in it. Dr Hobbs. I kinda like the sound of that! 

I believe with every fiber of my body that we should all strive to find something(s) to be passionate about. Whether this is family, environmentalism, surfing, friends or art, whatever your passion stick the course and try to make a positive impact. I want to be dedicated. 

I'm striving to stay inspired which is why I hung out with an awesome person we both know, visited art galleries and made sure I got out in nature. Here are some photos of my adventures. 

Thoroughly Normal Adventures.

Metropolis an exhibition @ Birmingham Art Gallery. 


 (Below) Tapa - Bark cloth Paintings from the Pacific: I told you surfing was trying to find me! In the middle of Birmingham here is artwork from Pacific communities in the 20th Century. Check out the gorgeous dolphin and tuna fish motif. 











 Park life at Haden Hill with Antonio, Jack the dog and moi!













  



























...Stay strong, Surf well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment