Wednesday 22 May 2013

Paradise is...




 ...having a healthy body & mind. Not so long ago my diet and the way I felt about my body was all centered around whether it was helping or hindering my combination skin (I was spotty). Nowadays my attitude is about wanting to fuel my surfing, to be fit, to be ethical and environmentally minded which, ironically has improved my skin (sans medicine and calming down on the amount of prod0uct I was bombarding my poor face with)! 

Nobody needs me to be mother mung bean by telling you what to eat or drink but I'd like to share with you some of my own experiences and how they've positively impacted my life... 

Being outdoors, getting that all important vitamin D from the sun, playing in the ocean and socializing whilst exercising is what makes surfing so impossibly wonderful. I'll always count it as one of the best life decisions I've made for my personal well being. Surfing also takes a lot out of you so I find it really important that my land based activities aid the effort I'm going to exert trying to stay on my board!  

The biggest impact I had on the quality of my skin was deciding to become vegan. I had been vegetarian from the precocious age of 8 (I told my parents I knew what happened to animals and didn't want to hurt anything anymore). A few influential individuals in university, along with some vegan cakes convinced me to try the vegan lifestyle and I've not looked back since. 

Don't get me wrong I have my slip ups and sometimes I do fantasize about Cadburys dairy milk chocolate but mostly I love my diet and the impact its had on my body. If your unsure about what a vegan actually eats, or thinks that we're these anemic, Edward Cullen types who don't like daylight then check out this enlightening video courtesy of Maka B the affable Rastafarian gent.  


 

Human beings are incredibly resilient and adaptable creatures, we're able to withstand both physical and emotional stress and whilst a little pressure is good in life to motivate you, too much and we become susceptible to all types of illnesses. 
We are tenants of our bodies, so it is up to us to ensure we properly take care of them. Here are some of my top tips for being surf ready and maintaining equilibrium in your own life...

*Disclaimer
Obviously everyone is different, so some drink/food you might find abhorrent or be allergic to...use your common sense and only do what feels right for YOU. 

1. Sip warm water with lemon early morning. 

Now ordinarily I am a stoic for a caffeinated drink on a morning, being the biggest tea belly you will ever meet, but even I have had to begrudgingly admit this has been a small change to my morning which has made a massive difference. I honestly feel like I have been cleansed from the inside out and its amazing how awake it makes you feel. 

2. Follow this by a green tea. 

I know initially it tastes like pond water but persevere because you'll develop a taste for green tea. Its high in anti oxidants and I have seen only in a short space of time how beneficial it has been to my skin. I'm by no means perfect but I can see blemishes starting to fade. WIN. 


3. Sweat. Strength. Stretch. 

Exercise can become stagnant if you don't switch it up and you'll fail to see results if you just jog twice a week (although this is better than nothing)! The biggest changes I've noticed to my body have been since I've participated in a variety of activities. I like to start the week doing some cardio such as running or aerobic work outs. I've become a big fan of www.youtube.com/befit as there are lots of free workouts you can partake in some as little as 20 minutes (but 20 minutes of hard work)! 

At some point during the week I do strength training such as rock climbing or another work out video that uses total body conditioning. Whilst cardio is good for fat burning if you work on building muscle mass and core strength you'll be burning calories and feeling strong for long after your workout. Finally I do yoga or swim to stretch out my entire body. I think a combination of the three types of exercise causes your body to never get too comfortable with a routine. 

If your strapped for time then walk, at the very least walk everywhere you can. 

4. Smooth it out. 

Initially I was a little skeptical of smoothies, to me making my food look like a babies jar variety didn't seem all that appetizing. Recently however I've been really getting into smoothies,especially during long shifts at work when I need a decaffeinated buzz! Try this recipe for a hit: 

The amazing green Hulk power smoothie!

1 cup of Kale
1 cup of Spinach leaves
1 banana 
handful of raspberries (optional) 
1 1/2 cups of Oat milk 

Add all blend away until green and smooth! I know it sounds disgusting but this tastes surprisingly delicious. 

Alternatively try 

The kick ass wake up smoothie!

1 carrot
1 inch raw ginger peeled and grated
1 apple 
oat milk/orange juice/soya (any one of your choice) 
1 banana to sweeten (optional) 

This one feels like a kick as the ginger really gives it some pep excellent for waking you up or a mid morning snack. 

5. Meditate on the go. 

Ideally we'd all like to have sufficient time to sit and contemplate life but finding ten spare minutes in a working day can feel impossible. One way of getting my 'om' time in is whilst commuting or making a cup of tea. You only need a few minutes to regulate your breathing and remind yourself to be mindful - easy peasy! 

6. Banish the bloat. 

Whether your a lady experiencing the regular teletubby bloat of 'that time of the month' or a guy who is eating foods which don't agree with the digestive system I recommend making Masala tea. I got the recipe from the wonderful Indian ladies I work with, this is amazing for helping beat bloat and easy stomach complaints. 

Masala Tea 

*To make enough tea to share between six 

1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
1 tablespoon of cloves
1 tablespoon of Cardamon pods
1 pint of water 
2 inch raw ginger peeled and choppped 
Black tea bags 
Sugar to taste 
Milk to taste

In a sauce pan add water, fennel, cloves, cardamon, ginger and sugar and allow to boil for 5 minutes. Add the teabags (if you wanted your tea like an English breakfast tea then add the milk, at this stage I usually add a smidgen more sugar and put soya milk seperately in my cup for afterwards). 

Pour through a tea strainer (or sieve if you don't have one) into a cup and voila Masala tea!  

Your gut will be happy :) 

7. Enjoy the process. 

Devon of The Mermaid Chronicles coined a very good phrase in one of her recent posts 
'I am in process' which I think is a wonderful attitude to have in terms of career progression and general contentment. I often find myself comparing my life to others and wanting to be a little more established in my career but its important to remember, we always have momentum. Having dreams and working towards them is an accomplishment in itself, so try your best not to be so hard on yourself, have an action plan and above all patience. 

Until next time water babies and land lubbers! 

Stay strong, surf well! 

Love Sophia 





 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment