Tuesday 14 May 2013

Sloths and Mermaids.

 

Listening to SunSay & John Forte - Wind Song <3 

Today I received a parcel from my friend Phil, inside it contained a poetry anthology I had originally made for my friend Joey. It was hard to have this poetry book back knowing that my friend is no longer here to appreciate the poems I had lovingly written for him. 

I'd like to share with you a poem I wrote called: 

The Mermaids Daughter 

I am the Mermaid's daughter, 
I lure with the lilt of my heart song,
til both boat and man are dashed. 
But if you listen closely my beckon is not 
of demise. 
I am mourning, I am yearning to know how it is to love. 
I tell the whales and they sing of my sadness. 
Alas I am the Mermaid's daughter
I long with the lilt of my heart song. 

By Sophia Hobbs (aged 18). 


I find it both sad and warming that at 18 I was thinking of the sea well before I had ever even picked up a surfboard. To quote Roxy the sea sets me free. 

Any who...

How to make a Sloth bag*

*For under £5.





You will need: 


- A bag (I had an old one which cost £1.50 originally)

- Shades of felt (I had some left over ones and brought two new  
  for £1.60) use brown, cream, black and red. 
- Paper, pencil and pins to make templates for the sloth face/hearts
- A glue gun. 

Takes 1 hour to make. 







1. Assemble your crafts and start by drawing a sloth face shape on paper, you will need:

- 1 circle for the head
- 1 heart shape for the inner face
- 2 egg shapes for the eyes
- 2 black circles for pupils
- 1 large black circle for the nose
- 4 hearts of various sizes. 

2. Cut out the shapes, at this stage you can also plug the glue gun in and let it warm up. 


3. Start by gluing the largest face shape on the bag, try to get it central. Add the heart shaped face piece, then the eye patches, the black pupil and finally the nose as shown above. 


4. Lastly glue on the red hearts. Allow bag to dry. 


Voila sloth bag! 























This Week... 


I came across this gorgeous artwork in a changing room of all places!
Henna art work kindly done by my friend Emily! 



Emily's kittens awwwwwww! 

 






 And finally...

Buddy the Sloth Says...






Which bird makes the longest migration? 
Well folks that would be the Arctic Tern (Sterna paradisaea). 
Our little feathered friend makes a staggering annual trip from the Arctic to the Antarctic where it spends winter. For this reason the Arctic tern sees more sunlight each year than any other animal, as they experience a second summer by travelling south in the Winter! Sounds like too much hard work to me... 

Love Buddy. 


Until next time... 


Stay Strong, Surf Well. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment