Thursday 28 February 2013

Seagulls in the city.







































I've got an hour or so until I have to set out to do a late shift, so I thought I'd boycott my usual vegetative state before work and do something creative by writing to you, dear blog reader. 

So seagulls, why have I started a blog post about seagulls?
As you are well aware I live in the city, the most land locked city in all of England, (its literally called 'the midlands') so you might suggest I am somewhat sea starved. Every now and again however I hear the characteristic holler of seagulls which skulk around the cathedral looking for scraps. When I hear them I have this indescribable rush of happiness, they remind me that the sea isn't that far away and eventually I'll be surfing again. They conjure images of summer holidays, the sun beating down on my neck and the water still being cool to the touch. It all makes me terribly heart glad!

To quote a friend of mine 'satisfaction is the death of desire,' which I think is a neat little saying when concerning dreams and aspirations. Having the hunger for something can in some instances be the best part. Whenever I go surfing its always over too quickly, so I'm trying to savor my land locked status and cultivate excitement for my next trip. We sometimes put too much emphasis on hoping for things that we forget to be happy right now. You might not be exactly where you want to be but start finding the silver linings and if your really not happy change that fact! 

More and more I'm beginning to appreciate that it's not what we do which is important, it's who we are which really counts. I dread the question 'so what do you do,' because its compartmentalizing all that I am in a sentence or two. Impossible. When faced with that question, pause, take a deep breath in and then exhale. Remember that if this person is going to be important in your life they won't judge you if your not doing something 'cool.' Tell them about what makes you heart glad, tell them one good thing about your current occupation, then tell them a snippet of a dream. Be positive. 

Here in Birmingham we have sunshine, its still crisp outside but I honestly feel like mother nature is giving us a little taster of whats to come. When I came across the Billabong Summer 2013 fashion trailer all those great feelings about summer went into overdrive- long evenings, sun kissed skin, the sounds and scents of people enjoying life...
I am happy exactly where I am and the prospect of summer is just adding to the generally stoked feeling! 


 

Stay strong, surf well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment