Sunday 3 March 2013

Vice and Virtue.

     
































Late night blogging (when I first composed this post) is always an indication that I've got things on my mind. I do. I'm a little surprised by this as I'd say generally speaking I'm pretty dam happy! Naturally my coping mechanism is surfing (and well I can't do that at the moment), music, exercise and art - precisely the reason why I'm writing on here! 

Yoga and meditation are constants in my life which always bring me back to myself. I've been doing Shiva Rea surf yoga a lot in the hope her flow sequences will magically transform me into a better surfer. I'll keep you posted on that front... 
Now Yoga is a pretty wholesome endeavor, you'll never regret dedicating time to your practice (even when you pull muscles you didn't know you had)! 


Today I was doing wave meditation a form of Pranayama which uses the rhythm of the ocean as a template for concentrated breathing. Listening to the sound of the sea (unfortunately from a CD) and really feeling the depths of my inhalation and exhalation brought me a clarity I can only replicate when I'm on a surfboard. 
Concentration is a wonderful rare thing that I feel is constantly eroded by the distractions of everyday life. I am queen of procrastination, sometimes I have managed to get so distracted that I forget that my sole purpose of venturing upstairs is because I need to pee. How do I forget my bladder?! 
So anyway enough about urination for now! Let's talk about vices. 

The irony is not lost on me that as an English woman one of my biggest vices is tea. Gawd the stuff is like my heroin, I have to get my 'fix' on a morning and guzzle the stuff by the gallon throughout the rest of the day. 






















Also.

One of my greatest weaknesses strengths is that I love too easily. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve, I wear my soul. Naturally this has gotten me into some trouble in the past but I have a healthy attitude to my heartaches these days. I don't waste breath on regret, everything is an opportunity to learn something - well at least that's the theory and I'm sticking with it!! 

You'll have to forgive me for the haphazard approach I'm taking to writing tonight/today. I'm having a bit of an inner monologue moment so am finding myself typing whatever enters my head! 

Recently came across this poem I wrote which reflects on love lost. I wanted to share an extract of it with you dear blog reader despite cringing to the tips of my toes... 

The Ex. 

They sully our heart but only in crayon, so there is still opportunity for the one with indelible ink to graffiti you with their love. 

We are but malleable to our experiences and though the pain and the longing carves deep into us,it does not define us. 
Rather it leaves gullies for our dreams and strengths to fill us whole. 

And our exes are like Polaroids;
caught in a flash, developed for a moment, then dropped as the second passes. Beautiful, preserved but fleeting.

A Poem By Sophia Hobbs 

So to conclude this totally random blog post about nothing in particular I'm going to leave you with a mix of songs which  I've been listening to recently. 
The theme is summer is on its way! 

The 'It's almost Summer' playlist!

1. Mungo Jerry - In the Summer Time 

2. Stealers - Stuck in the Middle with you 

3. Simon & Garfunkel - Cecilia 

4. The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (seriously great background music for creating art work)! 

5. Weezer - Island in the Sun 

6. O.P.M. - Heaven is a half pipe (I am LOVING listening to O.P.M at the moment)

7. Outkast - Hey Ya (go on admit it you'll be shaking it like a Polaroid picture)! 

8. Geggy Tah - Whoever you are  

9. The Drums - Days 

10. Lykke Li - Get Some.























Stay strong, surf well and do some yoga! 

No comments:

Post a Comment