Friday 7 December 2012

Aesthetica

A friend of mine has recently invested in a bodacious amount of body art (a tattoo sleeve) which has really got me retrospectively thinking about my own aesthetic aspirations. 

My current style lies somewhere between: 

hippie chick//surfer girl//vintage darling. 

I enjoy fluctuating between the three as they all encompass aspects of my personality. The hippie chick costume mirrors my morals, I am liberal and deeply interested in environmentalism, the surfer girl captures my spirit of adventure and my dare devil attitude and the vintage attire represents my creativity and love of finding old treasures. 

A part of me has always wanted dreadlocks and lots of tattoos my current appearance being devoid of both. I often wonder whats stopped me up to now? With the job market being as unstable as it is, looking smart and sensible is no guarantee of getting a job anymore so why not go all out and dress how I really want to?? Truth be told if I seriously wanted dreads and tattoos I would have done it by now, my reservations I guess are founded in not truly knowing what I aspire too. 

The Pop up Bazaar Birmingham.

Normally I'm a little skeptical of vintage stores, they tend to charge inflated prices for garments you could easily find in a
charity shop for half the price and the money going to a better cause. Well  pessimism has never been my bag so I'm happy to be proven wrong in this instance. In Birmingham (UK) a little pop up bazaar has appeared in New Street which is absolutely brilliant. Moth balls and mustiness aside I've come across some really great pieces at seriously good prices. £15 for two dresses and some tops for as little as £5. I am always happy to find a bargain especially with the purse strings almost permanently tight. So for blogging purposes, I've done the posey poser thing and made a little fashion collage of my finds.
Sorry for the incredible vanity present on this page (and for another post which has NOTHING to do with surfing...)


1950's style parrot shirt £5! 
I absolutely love tropical birds and the yellow just reminds me of warmer temperatures.



(Above and Below)
Here are snapshots of the zebra dress I found. Its super cute and as I have a passion for all things African it fuels my obsession! 

(Mom is going to kill me for standing on that chair....)


Ignore the constipated expression I have on my face,
 I was trying my best 'serious model' pose. FAIL. 

This is the 1970's fabric up close. Unfortunately it is polyester 
so I'm likely to sweat profusely in it but hey at least it looks pretty!

I think if I had to pick a favorite this would be it. I'm not sure you can tell but its a dress and for a mere £7.50 I feel almost like I stole it!

My Beloved.






































You may have noticed the number of posts this week has suddenly increased. While I'd like to hypothesis this is because I became suddenly a lot better with time management  in actuality I think it has rather a lot to do with the fact Antonio is away. My beloved is in Chicago doing his arty thing at the Glitch Festival. Whilst I'm loving my independence (i.e. not shaving my legs), I am kind of restless. Something isn't quite right in my universe, not having him around feels like I'm witnessing birds fly backwards. Now him and me are made of stronger stuff of course, we managed long distance for three whole months whilst I was working in Ethiopia, but even so this week feels agonizingly long. 

In my spare time I've caught up with friends, got a job in the museum (temp), drew nearly all of my gifts for people, cooked, shopped, ran, spent quality time with the family and ate - a lot. I also watched this darling film which has made me feel pretty emotional and even more desperate to go live out in the woods Thoreau style.

You can actually watch the entire film on youtube. 
Please do so its BEAUTIFUL. (p.s. You'll love Bruno the dog).


      













  


Among my boredom fueled internet surfing I also came across several gems. The following blogs are all about being vegan and travelling which has really inspired me to stick with my ethical diet. I've fallen off the band wagon of late either through ignorance or weakness but these sites have 100% inspired me to stick with the veganism - and the food looks AMAZING, they are proving that vegan food isn't cardboard, ugly or flavor-less. Enjoy!


The Vegan Backpacker




 














Will Travel for Vegan Food Project

















Well have a lovely weekend my dears, wrap up warm and make sure you use the lip balm in this cold weather! 

Lots of love 

Sophia 

No comments:

Post a Comment