Tuesday 17 January 2012

Salem!

We must learn to reawaken and help ourselves awake not by mechanical aid but by an infinite expectation of the dawn 

- Henry David Thoreau 

Salem from Ethiopia! I've started with Thoreau because I feel it best encapsulates my current state of mind and how I'm regarding my time so far spent in the wonderful Addis Ababa. I've been here exactly 8 days and let me begin by saying what a city of contrasts it is! I'm living near Entoto mountain in a compound with a bucket shower and a hole in the ground toilet. I'm able to watch MTV in my room and I'm sat in a very swanky Internet cafe in a district of town that has beggars on every corner. There are not enough words to adequately express what Addis really is because it changes from day to day.

This week has very much been an admin week, having survived the 8 hour flight we spent the next four days cocooned/under house arrest in the red cross training centre, learning things like don't be out after 9pm and don't give eye contact out on the street. We've had lots of team meetings and the opportunity to fall in love with our Ethiopian counterparts. We're a cross cultural team of nineteen whom after various bonding activities have become  tight knit mini community. My volunteer counterpart is the lovely Dave (seriously) who has taken to being my personal body guard, he's literally the brother I've always wanted :) 

When I'm not being ushered around by Dave and the gang I live with the Abera's who consist of Belete (dad), Azeb (mom), Dejene (bro) Alex (Dejene's friend), the twins Hennon and Asira, then various gorgeous kids who belong to Mammi an unrelated family member who conducts the running of the household. My room is without a lock so kids invariably come and pop in and there are numerous cats who like to act out family dramas when I'm sleeping. Naturally I'm loving every minute!!!

The only thing I'm not loving is that my gorgeous, wonderful man fellow (that's you Ant) who I muse over all the time (sorry guys) is not here with me. People don't do long distance for a reason - because it sucks! That being said I'm seeing my time here as a perfect opportunity to acknowledge how happy I am with the darling Mr Roberts and well - how much I love the dude!!! (He's probably reading this so I'm going to stop gushing now - that and your all probably wanting to vom with this outlandish display of verbal affection)!!

So until next time (which could be a while as Addis has the WORST Internet connection in the world.) 

Love and light me beauts 

xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment