Saturday 7 January 2012

10,000 hours to PERSEVERE the Beyonce way.


Forgive me for being over zealous on the whole blog writing front I'm just trying to update as frequently I can, while I still have a reliable Internet connection!

Two days until Ethiopia.

I am the proverbial rag doll in the washing machine trying to organise myself for a life changing three months ahead...
 The last few days have been difficult, not only because I've been fighting off the usual January bugs, as well as doing last minute prep, but also because the realisation of leaving my man, my family and my wonderful friends has really sunken in.

Luckily Beyonce was at hand to help me out.

I'm a woman who endorses female power, I scrape mud off and count the bruises, I bake and I stand for things like, compassion, animal rights, tolerance and gender equality. I believe men and women have the capacity to stand side by side
as equals and tackle the world and its problems together. 
I'm lucky because I'm in love with a real man, the kind of man who can support me while I go do humanitarian work even though the distance sucks. The kind of man who has his own stuff, does his own stuff, has his own life but still asks me how I am at the end of the day.

So why Beyonce? Because Beyonce embodies female power, much like Marge Calhoun doing it for the 1950's surfer girls, Beyonce I see as a real innovator. Its a funny thing for a folk/reggae fan to confess feeling admiration for such a commercially successful artist, but that is exactly what she is- an artist. Beyonce writes her own songs, manages herself, runs a business. She is showing women around the world that you can aspire to anything you truly dream of if you remain a stoic to the cause. She also happens to love the sea and summarises beautifully how I feel about the ocean in the video below.

If you have a few minutes watch it, not only does it have tofo tofo dancing in it,(she flew three guys from Mozambique over whose dancing video she watched on you tube), she talks about chasing the dream and never giving up.

Pretty inspiring stuff if you as me, whether you like her music or not!



Apparently it takes 10,000 hours to become a master of something. If you did two hours of a said activity, six days a week for about 20 years this is how long it would take to become good at it. So learning from Marge Calhoun and listening to Beyonce I'm going to start chasing my dreams and live my life to the fullest.

...10,000 hours of surfing please.

Until next time loved ones.

Namaste

X

No comments:

Post a Comment