Saturday 19 July 2014

The funny thing about time.




It amazes me that in the space of 1 day I lost everything and at the same time gained so much. Yesterday I discovered that I won't receive the funding for my Occupational Therapy course, which means the dream of going to study up in Saltburn (surfing beach) is pretty much void. There are some funds available but not enough to cover living expenses. I wouldn't just be 'student poor' I'd be struggling to cover my basic needs, which is no environment to be growing and learning within. 

I've always believed that you are exactly where you are supposed to be and everything happens for a reason. So it came as no surprise that all this drama unraveled exactly when I was bringing Bruh my gorgeous new bunny home.  I've always had a connection with animals it originated way back when I was little and is a big reason why I chose to lead a vegan lifestyle. Bruh has come into my life exactly when I needed him to, when the distraction of something alive and in need of my care would help me work through what the hell I'm supposed to do about my professional life.
(What professional life)?! 

What's even more remarkable is the effect Bruh has had on my boyfriend Mr Sunny. Having never owned a rabbit before Mr Sunny has been amazed at Bruh's inquisitiveness and good personal hygiene! Even I, a veteran rabbit owner, have been lost for words over how confident and affectionate Bruh is having only been with us literally for a few days. Yesterday we all fell asleep in the living room, Mr Sunny on the floor, me on the sofa and Bruh stretched out sleeping like he hadn't a care in the world. I say this tentatively but we feel like a little gang, us against the world. 

On the way over to go collect Bruh when I was worrying about what to do regarding University, Mr Sunny mentioned how impressed he was when I led an impromptu yoga session in Newquay. He's pretty good at investing in people and reckons he could see I had massive potential to do this as a career. Yoga has always been my safe place and other than going to teach it at surf camps I never really considered it a full time thing. 

The next few days I'm going to take stock and try not to make any big decisions. Now's the time for reflection and enjoying what I have right now. Here's some local photos which are reminding me to stay positive.

I may not have the best paid job in the world but I get to work with awesome people like these pair!
This is me and Jack (the parents dog) post run, he's cantankerous, grumpy and unsociable but he's still my favorite running buddy.
This photo is called 'fresh Birmingham' I love mooching around the local market buying anything from Coriander to Ackee.
Mr Sunny took this photo out in his garden, one of my favorite places out in the world.

 Until next time, 

Stay strong and surf well 
Love


 







4 comments:

  1. Hi Sophia
    I have been following your blog for a while and I love how positive you are. Im a fellow landlocked surfer based in Wolverhampton. I am so sorry to hear that your funding for your course hasnt worked out but your optimism is outstanding and it sounds like the yoga could be something to explore further. I was at uni with a girl who got into yoga and now she travels the world teaching yoga so you never know where it could take you. It also fits naturally with surfing so although for now the geography isn't there at the moment, yoga could be that first step to connecting to the surfing....good luck! I will be following with interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kirsty!
    I can't tell you enough how touched I was by this comment. I'm often teased for being a bit soppy on here but by sharing more I've been able to connect to people like yourself. The funny thing is I've been meaning for ages to comment on your blog, I love how your posts echo my own frustrations for being a land locked surfer girl! I hear so much strength in your words and enjoy hearing about how you overcome the trouble of being a Midlands based surfer. This comment is particularly important to me and is helping me remember to stay positive so for this I want to say a big thank you. Stay stoked!
    Lots of love
    Sophia
    P.s. I hope all your dedication starts to see results for your poorly shoulder, get well soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaw thanks :) I totally understand what you mean about connecting with people and I have just read your latest post which touches on that (thanks for the shout out by the way, really kind of you!). I have met a few fellow landlocked surfers this year and its all been down to the blog - its opened up another world to me!

    That's really kind of you to say and I'm so glad that you have have enjoyed reading my posts. It is frustrating living where we do but there are ways around it. I'm so stoked that my comments to you have helped. It can be difficult to stay motivated and positive - I have struggled because of my shoulder injury but if you are passionate about something, you will find a way This quote has really stuck with me:

    T.D. Jakes — 'If you can't figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose."

    Stay positive and if ever you want to meet up and talk surf, just give me a shout :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Kirsty, I really appreciate you getting in touch! I'm loving the T.D. Jakes quote too, how true! I'm going to hold you to that offer to meet up, it'll be ace putting the world to rites with a kindred spirit, especially one who gets how frustrating it can be sometimes living the land locked life!

    Stay rad!
    :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete