Wednesday 21 May 2014

Better Together.



Vintage Denim shirt thrifted for a mere £5, happiness is a 1970's heirloom! 

































Today's blog post is a homage to the musician Jack Johnson and happiness. It was because of Jack Johnson that I was inspired to try surfing, if the ocean is the vector which carries me Jack Johnson was the catalyst. If you’re a regular reader here at Real Women have Curves and Surfboards (La Sirena is my nickname), then you are well acquainted with my honesty surrounding my struggle with sadness. 

It wasn't depression because I was never diagnosed or had to go on medication but I think it was pretty dam close, the fact that suicide became a viable option at one point is an indication of how serious my thinking was during those dark days straight out of uni. 

I'm able to talk about it because I'm determined to use my experiences and surfing as a vector for positive change. I want people struggling with mental health issues to try surfing and I hope as a soon to be trainee occupational therapist, that I'll be able to apply this in reality. Surfing has the capacity to influence so I hope my outreach can include adults and young people from all creeds and backgrounds. 

I've seen Jack Johnson twice in concert, once when I was happy and once when I was on the road to recovery. Recently on the Newquay surf trip, whilst being held by Mr Sunny a new land locked surfer club member began singing better together as we watched the sunset. A lump formed in my throat and I started to struggle to keep my composure. Here I was completely utterly blissed out and like a little sign from the universe one of my favourite Jack Johnson songs played. It’s my accompaniment to life, reminding me to savour the precious gift of happiness I currently have. 

I'm incredibly lucky to have found someone like Mr Sunny, its scary putting that down in words because you always run the risk of having it sabotaged but I think, like the Jack Johnson songs have reminded me, we must acknowledge our joy. 

So anyway...My vintage style Hawaii poster arrived from etsy, its another contribution to the surf art wall so I'm a happy surfer girl! Today the lovely Mr Sunny and I visited Twycross Zoo which felt all the more wonderful being that it was gloriously hot. I overheard a child declare that they were going to I quote 'have a penguin selfie' which is lingo completely new to me. Mr Sunny also ended up helping a kid spot a yellow bellied marten by literally holding him up Rafiki and Simba style. My ovaries were clapping the scene was so utterly adorable, here's some snapshots of our highlights! 



 










Until next time, 

Stay strong and surf well

Love

No comments:

Post a Comment