Wednesday 26 March 2014

Roots.

Reggae is as much a part of Birmingham city (UK) as Birmingham city F.C is and even though I'm a white British girl I proudly hold onto the notion that Birmingham was one of the first cities to embrace reggae and help bring it into popular culture. This credit is obviously owed to the many Caribbean people who made the West Midlands their home and with it bought the unique sound of reggae, dance hall and bashment.
UB40, Steel Pulse, Musical Youth, Pato Banto, Apache Indian and Birmingham was the first place in England Bob Marley came on tour to...

I'm lucky that in the suburb of Handsworth I am able to live and breathe a multitude of different cultures and in this part of town Jamaica can be found in the newsagents, the beauty parlors and in the record shops dotted about the place. Suddenly, knowing that I'll be leaving soon I am filled with sadness- Ironic isn't it. I've spent the best part of two years moaning about being a land locked surfer and now ocean living is a mere few months away I am over come with sadness for going. 

Ever noticed how reggae and surfing seem to go together? Watch a surf documentary and guaranteed you'll hear some reggae music going on in the background. I think its because the unique reggae rhythm compliments the smooth laid back styles of the surfer catching a wave. 

When I was living in Ethiopia I got to know lots of Rastafarians and had the privilege of listening to some wonderful live reggae. Bob Marley's face is everywhere and its hard not to go a day without hearing one of his songs. When I was in Addis Ababa I was still healing, finding myself and figuring out how to proceed with my life. Its why I attribute such a lot to music for helping me (along with surfing of course) to be the happy, balanced person I am today. Regular readers will know Jack Johnson holds a special place in my heart for getting me back on even ground but it was with ceaseless listening to reggae, which helped me return back to myself. Bless reggae!









 




           



















Until next time, 

Stay strong and surf well 
Love
 

No comments:

Post a Comment