Wednesday 12 February 2014

Letting Go.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. 

The Desiderata 

There is a moment just before standing up, that the roar off the ocean behind you feels overwhelming and you know that unless you commit your going to take a fall. That fear and overcoming it is the difference between riding a wave and wiping out. 

Fear is instinctive and can often be for protective purposes, it is however debilitating and in a non dangerous context problematic. When allowed to, fear can reign over all aspects of your life leaving you cloistered and on the fringes of living. 

I say this knowing fully the depths of my own fear. Generally I wear my soul on my sleeve and have a transparency with my thoughts and actions, I find being open allows me to connect on a much deeper level, strengthening relationships. This occurs in almost all social interactions bar romantic ones. Experience has made graffiti over that transparency and I find myself living in a walled existence. 

Presently I find myself getting to know someone, progressing slowly from first nervous meetings to dating. I'm becoming overwhelmed by the first flushes of romance and more fearful as I start to like this guy. 

In the same way learning to surf is a gradual process, falling for someone is the same slow meandering, 'try as you might' situation. 

So I'm trying to reflect on my surfing and use it as a metaphor in this instance to help me overcome the frustrations with myself. Often I have seen a glimmer of potential in a person and recklessly thrown myself into unsuitable partnerships. This time I'm going to paddle out, learn the way of the water before I take the drop, because once I do I know I'll commit and hopefully ride the wave in... 

Pretty things I saw.






   









































 










































































Until next time, 

Stay strong and surf well 
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment