Wednesday 22 January 2014

Solo.

 

































Today I forgot my phone. I began to panic and this feeling increased as I realized not only was I phone less, but going somewhere new, to meet someone new. How was I going to navigate this situation without my palm sized resource? 
Its amazing how a relatively new technology has become such an intrinsic part of everyday life for what I would postulate is for most people. 

In actuality my day went unhitched, better in fact. I discovered I had a notebook in my bag, so spent the time I'd usually use texting or looking on instagram to draft blog posts and write a little story. 

Modern life functions through short dialogues but it is the long conversations we exercise during solo contemplation which can bring us the greatest benefits. It was also really lovely to connect to someone without having the gnawing thought of whats happening on my phone to distract me. I believe most of us have been guilty of this, wanting to check your messages/emails whilst trying to maintain a conversation with someone face to face, its an everyday sin. 

Today's disconnecting reinforced my assertion that surfing is as much a tonic for the mind as it is for the body. In the water there is no time to wonder about missed messages, problems yet to be resolved or emails to answer, it is merely you, your board and mother ocean in all her glory. 

Communication is a topic recycled through my head presently as I begin to explore other avenues for dating. I've fallen in love before so I know the feeling, but recently I've begun to wonder about how we maintain these relationships in a reality, where distractions and complications linger with every text, email and social media forum surrounding us? 

I'm always searching for conversation, that wonderful moment of realization when two people synchronize and this blog continues to allow me to embrace this love of dialogue by connecting me to like minded people. Although my romantic aspirations haven't been realized yet (or is too early to tell) I feel enriched as ever by the diversity of people who seek out surfing. 

For today, I challenge you to turn your phone off. Just for a few hours and relax into the new sensation of being unreachable, what will you do with your time? 

Pretty things I saw....











No comments:

Post a Comment