Thursday 9 January 2014

Senorita.

I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.
Frieda Kahlo    
           
 

The painting is called Carlotta and is by Wilma Johnson a.k.a Surf Mama! 

Due to the frequency of hearing the question 'are you Spanish?' I have developed something of a soft spot for Latino culture and especially Latino actresses. The likes of Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz frequently play characters who embody all connotations of femininity, whilst exuding a free spirited persona - I love a multifaceted, strong female lead! 

Recently I watched soppy 90's comedy 'Fools rush in,'  which uses Mexican culture as a central theme. There were some cliches, which I wonder what the Latino community feel about, but as an English girl far away from either South America or Spain, I loved the style and artistic nature of Salma Hayek's character Isabel. 




























Its made me curious about Spanish surfer girls, whats the terrain and culture like for them? I'm aware of exceptionally good Peruvian and Portuguese surfers but I struggle to think of other equivalents. I wonder if this is due to ignorance and is the surf community inclusive to our Latino sisters? 

Alongside the strong female leads was style and decor that I absolutely adored. Its inspired me to collate images along a Spanish, Bohemian theme which will be in a future post. Its also motivating me to perhaps try and learn Spanish and salsa dancing. Why not?! New Year is an opportunity to remind ourselves to grow our branches up and out into the world. 

Spanish surf trip perhaps?? 

A few things for this week...

So. What do you reckon? Do I look a teeny tiny bit Spanish? 

 My compliant sister took a 'style' photo in the Thursday sunshine! 


Being early for the train I couldn't resist looking round one of my favorite vintage shops...I ended up buying this Mexican style dress, turquoise scarf and I got the red one for free! 

 






























I love that my dog refuses to let me be too much of a poser, look at him totally stealing the spotlight! Below are scenes from my city, sometimes I think I like it. 







 
Above is a mermaid zine I've been working on and below are art I've collected for my room. 
 Until next time,  

Stay strong and surf well 
Love 


No comments:

Post a Comment