Thursday 16 January 2014

Personhood.























This post does have a point and it will make sense, but for now I'm weaving together lots of different colored threads in the hope that I create something tangible. 

So. Beyonce

Love her or hate her she's done a wonderful thing creating a visual album. I can't tell you how great it was to have that excitement again of going to an actual store, buying a physical CD and then racing home to listen/watch it. I sound like a mega fan but I have so much love for a woman whose managed to follow her passions and done so whilst having a family - love her or hate her she's an innovator! 

People have openly criticized the album for its raunchiness but having actually listened to what Beyonce had to say for herself and the context of it, I felt like her actions were justified. Beyonce is all about art and concepts, her song Partition which has some scenes of her dancing provocatively, also has her husband sat in the video. She's saying to the world she loves her husband, she has a sexual side and she gets to express that in a very creative outlet. 

Do we talk so excessively about male singers who have their shirts off in videos or dance proactively (I'm talking to you Jason Derluo)? No. 
So my argument is why vilify one woman and use her actions as the break down of feminism, when one woman cannot possibly represent every female on this planet? The context of Beyonce's album suggests a grown woman exploring all connotations of what she thinks make her a female, mother, singer, wife, sexual being and expressing that in the medium she knows how. 

To be a feminist I don't think you need to suppress your sexual side or apologize for having body parts. Feminism has so much baggage attached to its meaning but this is what it means to me. I'm happy, I like men, I like women, I think we should be treated equally and our differences celebrated. I think women should wear what they want, dance how they want and I think men should be able to do the same. 

Ok. Next topic. Decisions. 

I recently attended a training day on 'The Mental Health Capacity Act' for work encountered the following phrase: 

'Decisions are your freedom' 

Some of the people I care for in my job role, for numerous reasons, do not have the capacity to make decisions and understand the consequences of their choices. So how in this situation do I maintain their dignity, respect their rights as individuals and ensure that the quality of care I provide is compassionate, understanding and above all respectful? Its a moral and ethical dilemma, as some circumstances require 'best interest' strategies which means going against the person's choice in order to protect them for the greater good. Like I said it is an ethical and moral dilemma. 

The whole day made me reflective about the decisions I have to make this year. What I realized is that there is no right and wrong way when it comes to picking paths, the universe is unfolding as it should and you have to just live through the consequences. Every decision you make is an opportunity to learn from so don't worry if it seems imperfect initially. 

Right I've got to go, there is Salsa dancing to prepare for (all part of my Spanish plan). 

Pretty things I saw...(Along a Latin theme because I'm obsessed)! 









   











































  



































Until next time, 

Stay strong and surf well
Love








No comments:

Post a Comment