Saturday 21 December 2013

Sea Glass.

“Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape.” 
― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations



 Discarded glass which ends up in the ocean goes through something of a metamorphosis. When at the mercy of the tides the sharp edges get worn smooth leaving a thing of beauty, this gets washed up on the shore and although it is a product of man made disregard, the ocean, she returns it back as something to marvel. 

Lately I've been thinking a lot about hope and how it is good to have expectations. Often optimism is something to be ridiculed, an archaic past time if you will which is for the naive and the ignorant. If you dare to be an optimist then it seems you are vulnerable to the cruelties of the world. 
This is your turn, this is your moment in history and as we never really know how many years we'll be blessed with don't you think it is preferable to live with lightness? 

Today I woke up bone weary from six days of fourteen hour shifts but the sun was shining and I relished the opportunity to make a rare free day wonderful. As aforementioned it has been an arduous week both physically and mentally but I know that with a little hope and expectation I can turn this around. 

I walked around my local park with my Dad and dog stopping to take photos of buildings and trees we always stop to take photos of. Its hardly news worthy but as I stood to watch my Dad take pleasure in reliving a place he knows like the back of his hand, I reveled in the simplicity of it. 

One day in the not too distant future I'm going to live by the ocean, it'll be a place where I can surf when the waves are right. On the flat days I'll walk across the beach and paddle just for the sheer hell of it. I'll stay when winter comes and the holiday makers leave, I'll watch my beach change through the seasons and be thankful when summer returns and the water gets warmer. Some days I'll go to paint what I see and on others I'll take photos. Hopefully I'll fall in love there and one day in the distant future bring up children, or dogs or maybe no children at all, maybe it'll just be me. 

I'll love the beach and my ocean irrevocably and perhaps when I become mere dust and memories I'll return to the sea and become part of the great tides. 






 Until next time...

Stay strong, surf well 
Love 







No comments:

Post a Comment