Friday 20 September 2013

Skater Girl.




























I've bought my first skateboard at the grand old age of 24 (which may as well be 104 in the world of skateboarding)! I picked one up for the first time in Croyde last weekend and absolutely loved it post surf. For a land locked surfer girl skateboarding seems a viable distraction while I anxiously wait for another surf trip to come around. 

Today my beautiful neon pink penny board arrived and I've been skating in the hall desperately willing it to be morning so I can go out and play. (I'm determined to go out at the crack of dawn before the kids come to the skate park and make me look like a sad loner). 

Which brings me onto my next topic of conversation. 

Patience. 

As a surfer you learn (whether you like it or not) the fine art of being patient. Even when the waves are surfable there are pauses between sets where you have to wait to get the wave you know is going to rock your world. At work my patience is insurmountable, I don't flinch if someone's behavior causes them to lash out and I can be with a service user all day waiting for a task to be completed. In a work context I am exemplary. 

However. 

If we're talking about surfing or *ahem my love life then patience isn't my strong point. There were times before the land locked surfers club was established where I literally felt trapped in Birmingham. I'd look at the pavements and the confines of my life and allow myself the luxury of being ungrateful. Thankfully a shit load of meditation, getting a job I'm passionate about and learning to be mindful has helped overcome those initial feelings of inertia. 

I've managed to cultivate patience waiting for surf and its an approach I'm now taking in my love life. I've tentatively begun dating again in a very nervous, scared to be burned again kind of way...you know how it is. Its so early I'm not putting labels on anything I'm just hanging out I guess. 

And do you know what. Its exhilarating. Having the patience to take things slowly enforces you to keep interested in YOUR interests, which is so important in the first flushes of romances. Its easy to become lost in a relationship, which is precisely why I'm fully committing to this new approach of taking my time and really getting to know people before I dive in head first...And that's enough of that kind of talk, sometimes its important to keep some things private as much as it is to speak your truth! 

This week's inspiration

 
 
 


 



 Until next time...
Stay strong, surf & skate well (!) 

Love Sophia 

No comments:

Post a Comment