Tuesday 13 August 2013

Tribes.

Fashion intrigues me in the same way the cultural norms of the Omo Valley tribes of Ethiopia do. Fashion is culture and whilst it can have its frivolous and sometimes cruel moments (fur anyone)? I see it as a non verbal opportunity for an individual to express aspects of themselves. 

Surfing and its counter culture fashion industry has a strong presence on the high street, from the California surfer girl look to the disheveled street style of skate/surf/snow genres it continues to shape our preferences and define a lifestyle. For me fashion is serendipity, the joy of encountering a garment like a genie in a lamp. Its why I love charity shops and stores with the need to rummage, every discovery is like finding buried treasure. 

In the aftermath of a break up, while I relearn who I am and come back to my core self, fashion provides an outlet in which to vent those pent up emotions. I continue to have a problem with my left eye which has resulted in me wearing glasses again (photos coming soon) so I'm also trying to rework spectacles into the me I am at present. Lavishing attention on my body and wrapping it in clothes which make a statement about me are helping both preserve and sculpt the woman I am. 

Here are pictures me and my sister Emily took on a grey, rainy Tuesday afternoon. 






















































































































Anatomy of a wardrobe. 

Look one: Sleek Skateboarder
Hat - Bought for 40p from a car boot sale
Top - H&M sale £7
Ripped Jeans - H&M Sale £10
Stilettos - Hand me up from my littlest sister Laura! 

Look two: 1970's Australian Surfer.
Paisley shirt - £3 from a charity shop
Ripped skinny jeans - £23 New Look
Mustard Wedges - £4 from a charity shop
Sunglasses - Upcycled from my mom! 
Dog - Preloved Jack Russell x border terrier! 

Look three: Urban Yoga. 
Hat - Free *ahem borrowed from my ex boyfriend's housemate!
White Tee - £3 Primark
Ocean Leggings - £6 Primark
Stilettos - As above. 

Look Four: Punk Gentry.
Velvet Jacket - TK Maxx £90
Tartan skinny jeans - £13 Primark
Stilettos - As above.

Whatever style your rocking remember you wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear you! Have fun with fashion and let it amplify the wonderful individual you are underneath the ornaments. 

Stay strong, surf well 

Love Sophia 

x
  


   
































   







































 


  
































































































No comments:

Post a Comment