Tuesday 23 July 2013

The Dream Catcher.


































I am a human dream catcher. Sometimes my ideas cluster like a thousand voices all talking at once or at night, when I'm trying to sleep, my dreams are the low rumble before an impending earthquake. 

The trouble with having so many ideas is that its difficult to pin one down. Sometimes you manage to achieve something and having realized it, its parable to seeing a butterfly pinned on a cork board. It is beautiful to look at but better when it was free and flying. 

Taking things day by day is, in my experience, the best way of revealing what it is you actually want. It is easy to become distracted by the big picture, about the lives we think we want to lead instead of looking around us at the things we already have. 

Every fiber of my body wanted to get a job relating to my degree, to be a conservationist protecting wildlife. And yet every single thing I've done in the last three years since graduating has been people centered. Without even realizing I was tailoring my skills and experiences to be of better service to people in need. I've worked with refugees, as a humanitarian in Ethiopia, as an intern at Responding to Conflict and now as a support worker. If I look at my present situation it appears that my forte is people.

Some time ago I discussed an idea on my blog. Having been so positively effected by surfing within the confines of my own life I wondered about its potential to help others in need. Then I discovered the work of Maui and his charity Street Waves in Miami, how he helps inner city kids be distracted from the difficulties of their lives by going surfing. In Handsworth where I work you can feel tension and everyday there is more news of young people living in ways they shouldn't ever have to. For a long time I've wanted to help youth like this, refugees, all genres of person through surf therapy and finally I think I'm ready to do this. 
Now that I'm getting counselling I also want to help people who are suffering with depression or other mental related illnesses. 

A seemingly normal conversation with my man Antonio gave me the eureka moment I needed to help me get this project off the ground. The problem always was, how am I going to fund taking lots of inner city youth to the coast by myself? The answer is I can't fund it by myself, I need a community around me. Antonio has a projector and mentioned that we should watch movies on the wall of his bedroom one night. A-ha! A community cinema of course! 

I can show surf/skate films and any profits can be pooled into the 'Surf & The City' project (the name of my organization). Once we are actually up and running its easier to get grants and funds that way as we've got evidence that we're fully functioning. 

I was inspired by people around me and in order to realize this dream I need people. If you are interested in becoming a part of this project please let me know, I need people on side who know things about obtaining grants, youth work, about showing films and licensing. Above all I need passionate people who care about getting through to those who need help the most. 

So...any takers?? 

Please get in touch with my via sophia.cant.surf@gmail.com or through my facebook group 'The Land Locked Surfers,' 

Until next time 

Stay strong, surf well 

No comments:

Post a Comment