Monday 21 January 2013

North Sea Surfing.

Go pro's - great for landscape pics not so great for girls with curves!

Surfing in wet suits so thick you feel like your wearing a tire,  hail storms and freezing temperatures do not sound like ideal surfing conditions. Despite a barrage of reasons for not surfing in January in the UK ( think snow storms, numb hands and hypothermia) surfing the North sea was one of the most magical things I've done in my short twenty four years. 

Amazingly my two hour train ride from Birmingham to Saltburn went without a hitch and despite only technically meeting Jemima my surf companion once, (and rather briefly in the University library before I graduated), we became as thick as thieves minutes after seeing each other again. That's what I really love about surfing the fact that it binds people. It's such a positive, uplifting experience you can't help but make friends. 

You know the best thing of all? I actually surfed, I mean I managed to catch more than a few waves on purpose. The magic happened, I can't explain it but something just seemed to click, I was in the right place at the right time and was actually standing up! I've been pretty quick to criticize my surfing of late, heck my email is sophia.cant.surf! Its largely because I don't like to take myself too seriously, surfing is about having fun and not worrying about how you look. I'm starting to wonder however if perhaps I should be re-labelled to: 

'Sophia can almost call herself a surfer just give it a bit more time,' 

Surprisingly we were so toastie in our wet suits/hoods/booties etc. 

The goofy smile plastered across my face didn't leave me all day, nor did it leave me the next. That's what I love about surfing happiness practically throbs within you after a session in the waves. Something about the sea sets you free and allows you to focus on only the task at hand - surfing. 

Surfer girls! 
Thank-you North Sea for giving me happiness.
Thank you Jemima for reminding why I must try to surf more
Thank you Nick the local surf legend for opening up the surf shack on a day where most people would be tucked up indoors. 

Stay strong, surf well. 









4 comments:

  1. I have to say I've never been surfing, and I'd probably never have the guts to try it in such cold weather! Looks like you had an amazing time though!! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely 110% recommend it Rachel, its such a positive uplifting thing even if your in the North of England and the waters freezing! Thank you for commenting on my blog, I'm infinitely pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, just looking at you two makes me cold! I love water sports, but I will stick to being a spectator on this. Glad you did well, and felt the "magic" this time!!

    Thanks for linking up with us on Life Lately this week!

    xoxo,
    Gayle | Grace for Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gayle, that message really means a lot to me, I've started reading your beautiful blog and am more adamant than ever that linking up on life lately was a really great thing to do.

    Thank you!

    Peace, good karma and all that jazz

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete