Friday 26 October 2012

The space in between....

Firstly here is Australian prime minister Julia Gillard putting a misogynist in his place. What. A. Woman. 









Lim-i-nal-i-ty Liminality

noun Anthropology.
the transitional period or phase of a rite of passage, during which the participant lacks social status or rank, remains anonymous, shows obedience and humility, and follows prescribed forms of conduct, dress, etc.

We've talked of Liminality before. I've used it to describe the wilderness of our twenties, those years of profound 'what will I do with my life' questions, of being broke, being a dogsbody  whilst also having the time of your life. Initially I used it perhaps in a negative light seeing it as something to endure rather than experience. However this notion is changing, the space between failure and success is probably the most important time you can go through, this is where you find out what your really made of. Therefore I'd like to retract my earlier opinions on Liminality and suggest that actually its probably one of the best phases to endure. Ride the wave. 

So this week I've been refusing to succumb to illness attending to my to do list with vigor which goes a little something like this. Internship. Check. Meetings for refugee job. Check. Social Enterprise meeting. Check. Workshops. Check. Copious amounts of affection for my returned boyfriend. Check and check!! 

I can barely talk about my social enterprise idea for fear of it not happening (and wanting it too so badly)! But all in all my idea of surfing for inner city kids has gone down really well. Now comes the hard part (Liminality! I've got to research my ass off and convince non surfers that this is actually a good thing to do. I've also been convinced to not open a cafe but instead do wholesale vegan/surf inspired cakes. At first I balked at the lovely Mark's suggestion (my adviser), but now I think its the best thing he could have suggested. I've never wanted to be tied down to something static, being wholesale means I can indulge in my passion for vegan baking. Anywhere. Oh yes siree. 

Beach anyone? 

Here's someone doing exactly what I aspire to do in a slightly sunnier location. Inspirational

Streetwaves from Michael McCabe on Vimeo.

Catch you later folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment