Saturday 8 September 2012

The importance of cooking with love and undressing slowly.

By 3pm I had taken a train to Birmingham and back, cycled for two hours, picked wild blackberries with the family dog (he sniffed) and harvested apples from our garden to make a crumble.
Nom nom bliss!

You see it is a terribly British thing on a day of sunshine to fill it with as much activities as physically possible, for good weather in Britain is kind of like the mating between pandas- rare. I had no guilt therefore having filled my good weather activities quota to watch: 



I've always had a soft spot for Brittany Murphy (R.I.P) she was quirky and different and just a little bit special. In the Ramen Girl, Brittany plays the heroine living in Tokyo, who gets dumped by her American boyfriend (who she followed there). After some crying in the rain scenes she ends up working for a cantankerous Japanese Ramen chef who lives opposite. A cast of quirky characters helps her find solace in the sacred preparations of the traditional Ramen dish and long story short she finds herself (and a super hot Japanese boyfriend...sorry Ant you like red heads, I like Asian boys).

Toshi played by Sohee Park

Its a huggable film, a 100%, feel good factor. Seriously watch it. Well it also inspired a blog post because at the centre of the movie is the relationship we have with our food:

Good feelings and love = Goooood food.

Its this idea that if you emulate the positive whilst preparing a meal and create with spirit rather than technique food, will taste better. Based on absolutely no scientific evidence I am inclined to agree, if I'm stressed or rushing my food and the sole object of me making it is only about consuming it as quickly as possible, then it tends to be bland, burnt or just downright awful.

Food is a big part of my relationship largely inspired by a talk I saw by the editor of Resurgence magazine (an ecological mag)Satish Kumar. He talked about the importance of making bread with his wife, about the romance of preparing food together and how this simple act can sustain a relationship. I am a strong advocate for this principle and one of my biggest pleasures in life is making a meal with Antonio, then sitting at a table to talk and eat and just muse about life together.

Now please excuse the slight tangent...

In one of these teatime discussions Ant made a very profound observation. He talked about the idea that when someone undresses for you before bed its actually quite a sacred ritual, something reserved just for you which should be cherished. Obviously you can't always appreciate someone getting ready for bed because your tired/asleep etc but I do understand the sentiment. When someone is getting naked in your room you should appreciate the moment because its reserved just for you two, a special connection.

Ok enough philosophy - the weathers nice...

Ta Ta!

x





No comments:

Post a Comment