Tuesday 25 September 2012

The Art of Failure

'Chronic Dissatisfaction' is a phrase coined in Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona, which describes feelings of restlessness and fatigue we all experience from time to time. Our lives in the West are defined by a constant striving, for wealth, status, good relationships or the latest must have frivolity and despite our everyday routines being easier than ever, our society is plagued by difficulties of an interior nature. We have time and scope for the tenant dissatisfaction to take up residence. 

Chronic dissatisfaction is a contagious disease and I admit to having being a recipient of it on numerous occasions. After some life lessons however I've come to regard it as a well camouflaged blessing. I spent the majority of the 2 years after graduation feeling chronically dissatisfied after having a well honed one track mind developed throughout my education, life outside academia felt suddenly desolate. I felt frustrated and inert but it was precisely these feelings which inspired my pursuit of surfing, of quitting my stop gap job and flying to Senegal. I came back tanned and happy and caught the sickness again. I got another stop gap job, found the motivation to go to Ethiopia and in the mean time fell madly in love. 

Chronic Dissatisfaction has been the making of me

I am dissatisfied with a society which allows poverty, racism, homophobia and a disregad for nature and other living creatures. This dissatisfaction has propelled me to devote my life to eradicating, as best I can within the walls of my mortality, these things from the world. I must take heed however that my dissatisfaction doesnt sabotage my motivation or god forbid the love of my life. Otherwise it is a blessing in disguise.

Recycling the sh!t life throws at us, using it like fertilizer and cultivating a little understanding can grow dissatisfaction into something actually quite beautiful.

So from a twenty three year old woman whose penniless and still living at home - embrace the dissatisfaction we all experience from time to time and use it to propel you forwards, for you are always moving forwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment