Wednesday 20 June 2012

Tea with Africa

So Monday I was sat with two Rwandan refugees drinking tea, laughing from my belly and trying not to drop biscuits after dunking. Believe it or not I was on a job interview with a tiny community project who are looking for someone to help organise a youth programme in Handsworth, Birmingham. Suzanne and Henry set up the project having escaped genocide themselves (over ten years ago) and now want to reach out to the refugee community in Birmingham. 

I think it highlights that if you give someone a helping hand they go on to not only help themselves but others also. Suzanne wishes to go back to Africa and set up an NGO.

The word is INSPIRATIONAL.

There is something about Africa that draws me back again and again, it gets under my skin and is a big driving force for me pursuing the career I am. Below are some photos I found from my time in the Gambia, to me they sum up a lot of what Africa is about and why I'll continue to have a love affair with the continent.

Places. People. Wildlife. <3










The funny thing is I may have two jobs but I will need a third to afford them both!
(My Dad thinks I'm stupid. I like to think I'm just hard working)

Job 1: Internship with Responding to Conflict (Unpaid)

Job 2: Working with refugee youths (wage may as well be unpaid)

Job 3: Anything that gives me money (soul destroying job)!

My life is starting to have a little direction but I think its important to emphasise the point of looking around you. We often stare so fixedly onto the future we forget to acknowledge the present.

Until next time loved ones, be merry and live well

X

No comments:

Post a Comment