Thursday 14 June 2012

Buddhism On The 140 Bus


The 140 bus from Blackheath to Dudley does not seem an obvious choice for profound contemplation but that fifteen minute journey has provided me with ample opportunities to meditate on life.


Today I saw school kids litter picking, yesterday I watched a street dancer rehearse a routine in the bus stop and today I sat next to a lady who told me about her daughter in Australia.
They were simple snippets of everyday life which have opened my mind to appreciate compassion.

There is an old Hawaiian proverb (the complete opposite side of
the world from India where Buddhism began but...)

'There is life in the labouring,'

The saying really rings true and has been giving me great solace of late.
I know in comparison to other people's suffering my problems are minuscule but problems are all relative and that is why things sometimes get me down. I'm flat broke, not in a scary way (I'm not in debt), but I'm living very much hand to mouth. I hate it because it feels like I'm treading water (no pun intended) and at the end of the day the only person I can blame is myself.
Its hard overcoming your pride but this is a fundamental Buddhist principle over come the ego.

Reading Buddhist literature is helping me immensely to get over myself- ok so I can't rub two pennies together but hey I have flesh on my bones, love and above all potential. In suffering there is beauty, truth and enlightenment.

Samsara is Nirvana
(The Buddhist version of no pain, no gain)!

I went for an interview today, it was for a support worker role at a care home for older Caribbean people. The minute I walked in I felt at home. Everybody smiled and said hello, reggae music played in the background and I literally didn't stop laughing with the two ladies who interviewed me. I could really imagine myself there while I do my internship and save up for a masters. The only trouble is my internship is 3 days and the job would be 4 i.e. no days off...

Samsara is Nirvana, Samsara is Nirvana!

I have another interview on Monday which is for a youth worker role with African refugee kids. I cannot articulate how much I would like this job, obviously I've yet to get a real feel for the place but should the 'vibes' be good I'll be crossing every finger and toe to get that job!! A fundamental part of Buddhism is about dedicating yourself to the service of others, you don't necessarily need a job to serve others but I think right work sets up a rigt lifestyle and that breeds compassion. 

*
Its hard not to be defined by your job, gosh I've spent the biggest part of a surfing blog talking about everything but surfing. This sucks. However the big picture is this, if I get a job I have money and if I have money that means more trips to the coast to hone my skills. Its been over a year since I surfed and my craving for the ocean has gone past just being a desire, its palpable like being thirsty (bad Buddhist having desires is not good karma)!
How can I call myself a surfer girl when I can't technically surf and don't get to the ocean often?

...I am a surfer becausethe passion is there, because more than anything this is what I want to do, to surf, to do it well and to be by the ocean.

“The wave does not need to die to become water. She is already water.”
 
Until next time water babies, live well
 
X

No comments:

Post a Comment