Friday 20 February 2015

Notorious S.U.R.F














The tenuous link to Notorious B.I.G. is because I'm going to be controversial by saying I believe surfing the (North) East coast of the UK is better than surfing (South) West. Obviously we're only talking opinions here, nothing really based on fact but I'd like to present a lighthearted argument for this case anyway!

1. The locals are friendlier

First and foremost due to the relatively small surf community locals are incredibly open and friendly. Everywhere will have localism to some extent and I really feel for the Southerns who get inundated with tourists, but I believe the Northern bunch have managed to maintain that family feel.  

2. The North East is less commercialized.

I tend to get a bit uneasy around global brands, not because they are all evil scheming companies but because I think they dominate the local economy and flatten diversity on the high street. As much as I like to have a mooch around a Billabong store I love the dude on the corner who sells T-shirts out of his workshop or the little surf hire shop that sells second hand boards. British surfing is such a grass roots culture and I hope to keep it true to it's heritage. 




















3. Coast and city collide.  

As a land locked city girl I love the juxtaposition of the natural beauty thriving alongside the ugliness of industrial, urban sprawl. I love that the coast seems so much wilder because its pioneered against industry in the East. 

4. The History 

The surf heritage of the East coast is a fascinating one, local lads surfed in woolly jumpers in freezing winter conditions and some of them got so good they ended up doing the world tour in exotic locations like Puerto Rico and Bali. Its that community again which makes the East coast rad. 




















5. Its great for all abilities 

Whether your trying to catch your first wave in Saltburn beach break or ripping it up in Pease Bay Scotland, the East coast is a diverse and beautiful stretch which provides a whole host of opportunities. 

Take my ramblings with a pinch of salt (no pun intended), I like opening up dialogues about surfing so if you have any favorite places please get in touch, its great to discuss spots!

And lastly I'll leave you with the words of Notorious B.I.G. 

We can't change the world unless we change ourselves. 

Until next time 

Stay strong, surf well
Love



No comments:

Post a Comment