Monday 15 December 2014

A little lack luster.

I have been massively uninspired lately, which is quite the conundrum when trying to write engaging material for a blog. Much like trying to stroke a nervous dog the more you force and cajole inspiration, the more it shies away from your outstretched hand.

After a bit of yoga and a lot of sivasana (aren't we all there for the relaxation), the reason I'm so lack luster became blatantly obvious:

I'm a surfer, writing a surf blog who hasn't been in the water for months. 

No wonder I have no opinion on the winter swell, can't review latest surf products or discuss hidden away breaks. My life has literally had nothing to do with surfing other than the constant dull ache of yearning I keep caged away in my heart.  

Oh gosh how terribly melodramatic! Regular readers of this here blog will know I don't like writing too many invites to pity parties so that's where the moaning will stop. Realizing I'm not going to have much opportunity to surf this side of Christmas I revisited some old loves of mine that have been with me since childhood, the idea being not to force inspiration but to be reminded of wonderful things. 

1. I packed a rucksack, borrowed the dog and got a thermos of mint tea ready then went walking out in the countryside. 



 
I got on the train for an hour or so to Malvern Hills with Jack the family dog. This is the closest thing to wilderness on my door step, I love how it reminds me of the Lake District, the place I called home for three years whilst studying. I was born city but I'm a country girl at heart. 

2. My go to place for respite is on my yoga mat. This is mostly because I get a lot of solace out of my practice but its also because my yoga mat is more readily available than a surfboard and waves! 





3. I return to old haunts, look at old photos and remember the hippie girl who dared to dream. I embrace change and I am grateful I've evolved over time (I'm more than grateful I've left behind the dodgy fashion sense and teenage acne....which lasted until last year), but I enjoy nostalgia and looking back at how far I've come. Sometimes being reminded of past things you loved helps you shape the way forward. I loved/love animals so here's a few pictures from my past which help remind me to live compassionately (be ready for a few laughs)! 

     
This little box room was my dorm room in Uni, the first space I had living independently. Its not exactly going to win any design awards but I still look at this little room with fondness (it also hid a pet rat named Fagin who I loved more than words can say)! 


Obviously I didn't get the heads up that turquoise yoga pants, bandannas and walking boots were never going to be a good look but this photo makes me smile anyway. It was the first time I went to Africa, I'd found a street dog in Gambia I liked and was giving him a scratch much to the horror of my travel companions! 
Gosh I miss those hills, here I am borrowing yet another dog in the Lake District. There are the walking boots again but at least they're in the right environment here. I think the only thing that makes me feel as free as I did in that picture is being on my surfboard. 




    
























My hair is lighter than it was in this pic but the smile is the same. Every time I surf this is how I feel, just completely elated. This photo was taken in Brittany France right before I tried surfing for the first time- It was love at first sight...

4. When I'm struggling to find inspiration I look to creative people, it may not be obvious right away but I'm a MASSIVE Beyonce fan. I don't pretend to think that the sun shines out of her backside celebrities have become property of the public rather than human beings, she is a flawed person like the rest of us, but I love her drive, her commitment to her family and her loyalty to gender equality. I've been captivated by her recent film project Yours & Mine recently, she totally encapsulates how I feel about feminism and how I want to balance career and family. 

 

5. Lastly I look at, talk to and love him. 


Often its terrifying writing about love, especially on such a public platform as this, but I've come to realize I needn't be overwhelmed or afraid of saying I'm in love. Mr Sunny is one of my biggest sources of inspiration and as Beyonce so rightly says, success is not real unless shared, men and women balance each other out, we need one another and admitting that is no weakness. We are social apes, we were born for each other and I write with a heart brimming with happiness that I've been blessed with him for however long I'm given. 

Anywho. Have I bored you silly yet? Well at least you've had a few minutes procrastination from whatever it is you were supposed to be doing. Funnily enough I've been massively inspired writing this post (and talking to my friend and surf comrade) about sustainability and biodiversity. Another massive part of my life was conservation so I think I might start incorporating that into my blog. Watch this space. 

Until next time,
Stay strong, surf well
Love




No comments:

Post a Comment