Wednesday 12 March 2014

Brooding.

When you sense a faint possibility of happiness you must grab onto the ankles of that happiness and not let go until it drags you face-first out of the dirt- its not selfishness, but obligation 
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. 
















































Dress Miss Selfridges in the sale, Boots from Select in the sale, BB cream, hemp lip balm and tea tree concealer all The Body Shop. 

Above shots: Hat and jeans all sale items from H&m, Aztec print cardigan a gift from Mom and the necklace was a gift from a guy called Happy in Senegal!  

Anyone would think I took these pics mid winter, not in the beautiful spring sunshine which is what I actually did. I'm fairly inept when it comes to photography, (which is precisely why in the past I've avoided doing 'style' shots on account of looking shit), but when I was playing around with the editing I loved the haunted look of black and white. All these shots were taken in my garden (and by mine I mean my parents), which has been this way since 1940. I love the stone arches and the rustic shed (made by my Dad with upcycled windows).  I think its given the photos a Gothic air. 

I'm gritting my teeth and pushing through the 'this is so cringy' feeling I get every time I take 'style' shots, I said I wanted to commit to having more of a presence on my blog and gawd dam it I am sticking to my guns! 

In actuality organizing these photos has been a welcome distraction from the brooding I've been doing of late. Having that typical Western indulgence of too much time to think, I was beginning to allow myself to become fearful, you see the thing is;

Happiness is terrifying. 

In the space of a few weeks I got accepted on a University course which means living by the ocean for real, my very new, lovely boyfriend has been 110% supportive and is willing to do the long distance thing (unfortunately he's Birmingham based) aaaaand in a mere few months, I'll be going to South Africa to live another dream of working on a surf community project.

I feel like there is so much to lose and the constant worry of having that happen has got me all twisted up. It gets me thinking about money (or lack of it), how I'm going to afford everything, also that if I'm commuting home frequently I can't possibly have a dog in the seaside dream life. Most importantly of all I worry that the beautiful relationship I find myself in will deteriorate with the slog of having to do long distance. 

So I made myself work out, I did some meditation, I read in the sun (then fell asleep in the sun), I made beautiful nourishing smoothies and I hung out with my parent's dog. 
Fairly standard practice really and dare I say it I feel better. 

The Yogic path is about disentangling the built-in glitches of the human condition, which I'm going to over-simply define here as the heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment - Elizabeth Gilbert. 


























This is a picture of a crocus flower I took in my garden, I'm going to take advice from this plant and open up when the sun shines on me and allow myself to be filled with light. When it rains (which is will), I'll soak it up and grow. Simple. 

Until next time,

Stay strong, surf well 
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment