Sunday 1 December 2013

Girls & Boys.

I love men and I believe it will be the combined efforts of both sexes which will alleviate gender inequalities. As a blog which documents female experiences in the realm of surfing I sometimes fail to emphasize the positive attitudes of the surfer guys around me. I'm lucky in that the men I encounter out in the ocean are supportive, inclusive and very much inspiring people. There is no 'us' and 'them' surfing, we are simply surfers in the ocean together. 

Feminism in 2013 (almost 2014 woowee)! Is a very convoluted subject with much confusion surrounding what it actually means to be a feminist. Lena Dunham best encapsulated what the term means to me when she said: 

'If you believe in equality, then you are a feminist.' 

Simple right! There's a really interesting article written about Lena by one of my favorite journalists Dawn O'Porter which you can check out here. 

The very nature of surfing can offer up some interesting feminist questions and I believe it is easy for both men and women to be exploited within the industry. For a sport which relies heavily on sponsorship it seems a sad truth that the athletes need to have the capacity to sell as much as the ability to surf. 

Having worked on projects in Africa and witnessed the attitudes towards women there I continue to be passionate about championing gender equality and ensuring women have an equal platform as men. Having both received unwanted and inappropriate actions towards myself and having had a family member attacked, I feel it is imperative we continue these conversations.  

Luckily there are men out there who believe this too and like emergent trees they dare to stand above the rest redefining masculinity and what it means to be a feminist. The wonderful open dialogues across the internet have allowed me to encounter these men and it would be an honor to share their inspiring words with you. 

Darnell Moore 




Darnell Moore interests me not only because of his public speaking on issues such as race, gender and sexuality but because of his inspiring work with youth. He is an intellectual vector bringing change to the previously invisible youth. I hope when I begin my 'Surf & The City' program I am able to draw strength from his vision to help shape the scope of my own. 
What. A. Man. 

Ted Endo from Epic TV. 


Having discussed at length the Roxy Pro advert it was Ted Endo's conversation on Epic TV which perfectly encompassed my views upon the matter. I literally applauded when he'd finished his speech, what a refreshing attitude to a very dull and tired subject of women being exploited in advertisement. 

Fivel Rothberg



As both a father, film maker and an activist Fivel uses narratives to help men understand the changes which need to occur in order for equality to flourish. Having been a victim of sexual harassment myself, I see Fivel's film (above) as an accessible but powerful instrument in changing attitudes. 

There are countless examples of men changing the face of feminism and for that I am eternally grateful, I feel that it will be a combined effort of women realizing their power and men understanding how to control theirs, which will result in a fairer more equal world. 
A lot of today's thoughts have been inspired by another world changer blogger Jamie Utt, his blog 'Change from Within' is a beautiful homily to gender, race and sexual equality and I strongly urge you to go read what he has to say, here's a ground shaker. 

Change from within. 

For me my power comes from being inspired by the emergent trees such as my beloved Marge Calhoun, Rell Sunn, Lauren Hill, and Easkey Britton who were and are empowered female surfers changing the face of the industry. 

Whatever your gender, age, race or creed remember that you are important, you matter and that your voice is powerful beyond reach. 

Stay strong, surf well 

Love always 
Sophia 





No comments:

Post a Comment