Monday 25 March 2013

Rottweilers dream of love.




















Since deciding (somewhat abruptly) to put together an artist's portfolio in the pretense of becoming an art therapist (I say this lightly as you all know my career is as changeable as the British weather), I've been stuck in a bit of an uninspired vortex. 

The trouble is I'm over thinking it which naturally leads to artists block. The blank white sketch book seems a vacuous stretch of potential and it scares the bejesus out of me. Before I even start to draw my mind is filled with doubt and self loathing for the art work I'm yet to even start. It doesn't help that I am flirting with the Birmingham art scene and even though its been in a completely different medium (I've been around a lot of digital art and independent films recently) it still makes me think my bedroom based sketches seem a bit of a joke. 

Obviously this is not the attitude to have as I'm fairly certain all artists go through periods of hating their work. Heck poor old Vincent Van Gough cut his ear off! Whilst my ear lobes are still in tact I am getting increasingly frustrated with feeling that the work I'm producing is just 'pretty' pictures without any 
real substance. 

So far I made the vague decision to do projects on surfing, sea life, tribal women oh and Rottweilers. Whilst half way through a marine themed painting I decided I just had to explore drawing dog breeds that are considered dangerous e.g. Rottweilers, mastiffs, Dogue de Bordeauxs, Pit Bulls, Staffordshire bull terriers. This decision is largely based on the fact I've grown up around these types of dogs and love them but also that a lot of these dogs are perfectly lovely pets if given the chance. Its sort of inspired the project title:

"Rottweilers dream of love." 


(I challenge you to not smile watching this super CUTE video...) 

Well I felt monumentally chuffed with myself until a little googling produced the search results of Givenchy's Rottweiler jumper. Dam Givenchy has already made Rottweilers a thing! 



  



































I was inconsolable for a little while until I realized Givenchy has gone with the stereotype, look at the teeth on that jumper! I think I'm going to explore the theme of 'the soft side of dangerous dogs' anyway and see where that takes me. 

Obviously in terms of my surf blog, this is a somewhat irrelevant post but hey I think my diligent followers have come to realize this isn't just a space for me to pay homage to surfing, its a bit of an online journal somewhere to thought purge. 

Um. Sorry about that. 

This week I've been very wistful, much is happening in my life and I am grateful for all the peaks and troughs it brings. I'm still unsure what my niche is in this world but I'm not going to be afraid to love, or be loved in return. 


The simple pleasure of finding a great new hang out in excellent company. 




Some-days I want to be a wildlife conservationist, others to be an art therapist. I dream of living in a little house by the sea where the waves rouse me from sleep and afternoons are spent watching sand spray from the heels of my dogs, whilst my body nestles into the alcoves of my great love, we walk two figures along a beach. 

These days I'm not sweating about what I haven't got, better that I spend my energy cultivating patience, finding contentment in the simple endeavors and above all daring to dream at all. 

Until next time Surfettes and surfer dudes! 

Stay Strong, Surf Well 

Love Sophia 



    
I just hate to be in one corner. I hate to be put as only a guitar player, or either only as a songwriter, or only as a tap dancer. I like to move around.

- Jimi Hendrix 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment