Wednesday 20 February 2013

Balance.


Go down to the sea and tell me what it is you want to be 
                                    - Swim Deep, The Sea. 








































My happiness is palpable, I feel it fizzing in the tips of my fingers and in every fistful of air I inhale. 
I find myself singing at random moments and when I walk around outside I honestly feel like the sun is shining especially for me. Spring is on its way (even though its supposed to get colder) and that means summer isn't too long away either! 

Am I a fantastic surfer? No. Am I rich? No. Am I exceptionally beautiful? No. What I have is purpose I've finally found equilibrium. 
It is the third day of my new job working as a support worker. I care for adults of various ages who are wheelchair bound due to numerous conditions. Most are unable to verbally communicate but when they smile it honestly lifts my heart up. The job is hard work and very physical having to help the clients with their various routines but I feel incredibly blessed to be a part of their lives. I'm already falling in love with everyone there and feel very protective. I am a very lucky woman. 

I'm starting to realize that going to university was merely ticking a box, the real work starts after you graduate that's when you prove yourself. Care work is a million miles away from my previous work experience but the physicality of the job, the opportunities to be outside and more importantly the connecting with people is really suiting me. I think I understand what job satisfaction feels like, I know its going to be hard work and I'll have my off days but I think day to day I'm going to be very content here.

This isn't to say I want to give up on wildlife conservation, that is such an integral part of my life but I'm happy for once in my life to just take each day as it comes! 

So anyway. 

I also dusted off my dancing shoes Saturday and had a ball out with some of my girlfriends. A night out on the tiles did the trick of getting me out of my funk, here's the evidence/pictures! 


This dress was an absolute steal


We were trying to do angry fight scenes. Fail. 

No I don't know what we're doing either...
Oh dear. The effect of surfers on me I guess...













The Sea.

Part of feeling myself again I think comes with the knowledge that I (kind of) have a regular surf break. So my surf break is a two sometimes three hour train ride away but I'm lucky because I have an equally enthusiastic surfer buddy, friendly Northern locals to see and beautiful empty waves. 

Naturally this STOKED attitude is accompanied by some stoke inducing music. I don't often talk about the impact of music on my life but after singing to one of the people I care for and seeing her reaction I realized how important music is. 

The Sea is a gorgeous summer song by the new band Swim Deep. Its like all the frustration for being landlocked has been dissipated by this track, I'm not alone in wanting to live by the sea!! The band happen to be from my home city (Birmingham, UK) so they are even more perfect in my eyes! Click the picture to follow the link and hear this beautiful song :) 




I hope dear reader you too are content and if you aren't that you know suffering is an inevitable part of life that you will learn from and overcome. 

Kia Kaha 

(stay strong in  Maori) 



No comments:

Post a Comment