Sunday 11 November 2012

Half the sky.

Women hold up half the sky 
           - Chinese Proverb 

I often wonder if I lived by a beach break would I take it for granted? Would consistently surfing become normal, maybe even boring? As a beginner I've already encountered that wall of frustration which rises up when the initial elation wears off (you know that in between phase of being able to stand up occasionally but tanking 95% of the time). 
Not surfing feels like something is always wrong. I roll my tongue round my teeth, look at my fingers, count my loved ones and then remember - its because I'm not surfing.
The inertia is all self derived. 
I need to get my feet wet, pining for the ocean is becoming exasperating but I feel there is a lesson to be learnt here. There is always a lesson! 

So anyway. Something funny is happening

I've been working as a refugee youth leader (part time) for almost four months now. Based in Birmingham I spend Thursday evenings socializing with a multi-national group drawn to B'ham for various reasons. As part of a newly established grass roots organisation work has been hard and slow to start. I tend to spend a lot of time running about, networking, trying to find more people to help and worrying that I'm not doing enough to bring about positive change. As the person responsible for the 13-25 year old side of the project I have the privilege of working with some really amazing people with a heaps of talent and potential I'm grateful to them always. 

As much as I want to escape to the coast I feel like I'm needed here. This feeling has been crystallized by the Refugee Film Festival the youth group and myself attended this weekend at the British Film Institute in London. It was empowering, inspirational and a truly wonderful experience, here are some of the highlights.



Art from the women's workshop we attended 'Ideas of female beauty'




Beautiful Somali women explaining about their fascinating culture. 

Rest Up Hostel 





For my birthday I was bought a book called 'Half the Sky' written by Pulitzer Prize winning journalists Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn an American husband and wife team who've explored women's rights issues and gender equality. Their book has moved me to tears because the numerous stories about heroic women who've overcome atrocities to empower both themselves and others. 

Its really provoked deep contemplation in me, I keep wanting to escape Birmingham but there's a voice telling me its not yet time to go, as much as I want to live by the sea there are people here who need me more.

You see something funny is happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment