Tuesday 21 August 2012

! AFRICA !



It starts as an itch in the tips of my fingers, a subtle restlessness that creeps up on me like a thirst and then suddenly its palpable. This feeling no yearning overcomes me, like a bell going off inside of me. Africa she is calling.

Like the volcano, Africa can stun you in an instant. It can throw floods and drought and disease at you, sometimes all at the same time. In the next moment, it will tease you with its magnificent beauty, so even if you dont forget, you can find a way to forgive. Ultimately it keeps you coming back for more.

- The Blue Sweater, Jacqueline Novogratz

Its been 4 months since I returned from Ethiopia and though completely different to my West African experiences it was still Africa, the chaos, community, corruption and kindness of the continent that continues to fascinate me.

At the moment I'm reading a wonderful book by Jacqueline Novogratz a former International banker who ended up devoting her life to tackling global poverty. I admire her immensely for the brutal honesty she uses to describe her experiences in Africa. As much as it is a continent filled with smiling faces, community and vibrant culture it has its ugly sides. Jacqueline also tackles the issues of corruption and addresses the problems of foreign aid.

Poverty won't allow him to lift his head up; dignity won't allow him to bow it down.
- Madagasy Proverb

Below is an inspiring video which encapsulates the energy of Africa and why I'll dedicate my life to its people,
(ultimately learning some things about myself I'm sure).


Before thinking globally I believe its important to make roots in your own community soil, as knowing ourselves is an important tool to possess in the toolkit of life. I'm ready to equip myself with the skills and heart I'm going to need to embark on my African journey. A Masters in Development may be little more than a year away but already I'm hungry to learn and put it into an African context. I am enjoying every stage of this process from my internship, to my lascvious dreaming and everything else in between.

So forever and always;
To Africa with love

x

No comments:

Post a Comment