Sunday 12 February 2012

Surfer Girl Ethiopia


So how can a land locked girl in Ethiopia possibly write a surf blog without actually surfing...

Good Question. 

Today a Habesha (Ethiopian) friend of mine told me a story of their past, a real dark tale that thankfully ended well. It got me thinking about my on past and the synthesis of 

'Real Women have curves and surfboards.'

You see the truth is surfing saved my life. It sounds a tad melodramatic but the simple fact of the matter is that its entirely true. This is a public domain so I won't divulge exceptionally personal details but I'll give you the bones of the story.

I call the last year of university and the succeeding months of 2011 'The Dark Year.' In that period I was dealing not only with the usual admin headaches of a 3rd year degree, but complex personal issues also. I was caught in a vortex watching people I loved deal with horrendous issues and feeling completely powerless to help them. I developed a coat hanger grin, desperately trying to stay strong for everyone whilst underneath quietly falling apart. 
Only when I was back in Birmingham in the loving arms of my family did I allow myself to unravel. I'd been exposed to such suffering that when I was finally safe, out of that situation I crumbled. I lost my appetite, I ran, I ran for hours everyday because I couldn't cope. I got thinner and withdrew. 

Then the boredom ensued. 
I was listless working a job of necessity something that didn't nourish my soul. I had no purpose, I'd also lost someone I'd made plans with. 

I remember distinctly a day walking along the canal where a morbid though entered my head and I became preoccupied with the idea of committing suicide. For those that know me this is a contradiction to my usually upbeat persona. I affirm that I am a positive person, especially at that moment because despite the overwhelming desire to exit the world there was a small voice at the back of my head telling myself to not be such a plonker. 
So I switched my attention to the music I was listening to and heard the ocean undertones of a Jack Johnson song. It got me thinking about surfing - in a big way. 

Right after university as a way of celebrating leaving (and getting over an ex  hasten to admit) I went to Brittany with friends and had my first go at surfing. When board hit water it was love- Irrevocable love the kind that entwines you forever. 

At the canal I decided I had to go surfing or else. So along with a close comrade I spent 8 hours on a coach into Newquay and attended the Rip Curl girls tour (free surf sessions if you happen to have a vagina)!
After a few more months working the said 'necessity job' I decided to pack it in and after a spontaneous email ended up teaching Yoga in a surf camp in Senegal for three months (N'Gor Surf camp seriously check it out peeps)! 

Can I stand on a board...not really. Would I class myself as a surfer...absolutely. When my feet meet ocean my soul finds solace. I am goofy happy, even after my millionth wipe out I'm laughing. Surfing reminds me I'm but a small biological being but that I am connected to everything, in the ocean you are touching every continent in the world - how cool is that. 

So part of my 'Make it happen 2012' manifestation is to become competent at surfing. Ideally I'm going to move to a surfing beach and practice until I can stand up for more than three seconds. 
Real women have curves and surfboards, is a nod to Marge Calhoun, an American housewife who became a surfer girl and won some world titles. 
Like I said. 

Real women have curves and surfboards. 

ETHIOPIA 

As for Ethiopia...Well I rescued a kitten yesterday. I came across her whilst walking in Piassa, she had string tied around her neck and was in a plastic carrier bag. Needless to say she was quickly in my arms and riding a line taxi straight back to the Abera household! Her name is Honey and on putting her down she instantly started hissing at me...gratitude for you!! 
I'm happy to report however, though a little scraggy looking, after some tuna and milk she's now a (loud) and happy addition of the family. Below are some pictures of her >>>>




  


Helen Keller the chicken (named by Workayehu) a really lovely addition to my work place, especially as she brings her chicks aptly named Davia (Dave + Sophia) Worakyia (Sophia+ Workayehu) and Waves (you get the idea)!!

In other news Naomi, Sammie, Hubirt and myself ran a Global Citizenship Day on the subject of Globalization for the other volunteers. My area of expertise was the environment and the linkages between climate change and poverty. It was a hugely successful day and we made some beautiful collages to summarize our ideas and opinions about the benefits and pitfalls of globalization. 

Please See below....

 The girls making a globalization collage at the end of our day
 A particularly prevalent point! 

All the team at our Global Citizenship day :)
 
 Mid speech for my environmentalism discussion
 The boys doing some amazing collage art on Globalization (they stole all the glitter)
 Until next time Peace :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment